The Hardmoors Trail 10k



Having been injured since September it has been a long slow recovery from tearing my plantar faciitus


After a couple of setbacks in early January I decided to enter the Hardmoors trail 10k (which was actually 8.1 miles).  I had been working on my speed as well as distance but had not spent much time in the hills (anyone who knows the Hardmoors races will know they are based in North Yorkshire with lots of technical hilly terrain). 


We lined up on the start line and the gun when off and as normal I went off far too hard (I never learn), from the first step I was in the lead but being chased rapidly. We hit the first climb which was muddy and steep, which was great in a way as it slowed my pace and I guess stopped me from blowing up. At the top of the climb which was about 15 minutes I had a gel and could see the chasing pack. There was a nice flat trail section for about 1k which allowed me to open my legs again, I reached the next climb and as it was not to steep I ran to the top. At this point my breathing had slowed and the rhythm was in full flow. I thanked the marshal, who I knew, and headed down the first technical decent which normally I struggle to do at speed but not this time thanks to my Salomon SLAB soft ground. I had the confidence to throw myself as hard and as fast as I could. 


I reached the first checkpoint and water station to which I gave my number and took off to the next climb which was Wainstones and a scramble to the top and Text Box:  the location of the Summit Fever who took this photo. 


On the decent I had a glance back and could see the chasing pack had spread out, I had another gel and pushed on to the next climb and a little confusion on which way to go. I was feeling good so kept up a hard effort which was now across horrible boggy fell up down up down seemed to be the last 6 miles and now heading across open fells. 


I now could not see anyone but still kept pushing hard. I looked at my watch and I was passed the 6.5 mile mark. 


I ran my heart out along the fell section until I could see a Marshall in the distance. As I approached, I saw it was Jon Steele the race director. He said some kind words and I asked him how far and he replied "1/2 a mile" I threw myself down the last decent (I hoped) as hard as I could through a farm to a road. Based on Jon's half a mile theory and the fact I thought I that the finish was just round the corner, oh and I had hit a road section I hammered as hard as I could even shouting at myself "come on" come on" I soon realised that 1/2 a mile was actually 1 1/2 miles but I did not care I saw the finish looked behind and new that trophy was mine :)


I'm an ultra distance runner ( mileage junkie) yet I had bagged a nice 8.1 mile with 1300 ft of climb trail 10k :))))


Next up Kielder 50k which I bagged a top 10 finish so another good day at the recovery office.